How to gut a trout in 45 seconds
Preparing a fish for the table or freezer after a long day on the water can be a chore. But it needn't be! There are so many ways to prepare a fish that really do take seconds. Here is a video and step-by-step guide to gutting a trout. Quick, easy, no bother!
What you need
- A sharp knife (preferably a filleting knife, but even a pair of scissors or penknife will do)
- A clean surface
- A fresh water supply
- Fish tubes or plastic wrap if you are not going to eat it right away
Six easy steps...
Step 1. Hold the fish firmly in your non-dominant hand, belly up. (00:07) With the blade of the knife facing away from you, insert the tip into vent and run the knife up the abdomen until it reaches a point between the pectoral fins (00:12).
Step 2. (00:15) Make two incisions behind and underneath the gill plates.
Step 3. (00:20) Push your index finger and thumb deep into the incisions, firmly pinch together and snap the flesh connecting to the jaw.
Step 4. (00:26) Hold the gills tightly and pull hard to remove the gills, pectoral fins and entrails.
Step 5. (00:30) Slice along the membrane covering the kidneys, and scoop out the kidneys using your thumb or blade of the knife.
Step 6. Rinse with fresh cold water.
My favourite gutted trout recipe
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
2. Place the trout on its side in a large oval, lightly oiled oven dish (the head and tail may need removing if it is too large). Open the cavity and pour in roughly a teaspoon of oil across the flesh. Sprinkle in tarragon, salt and black pepper and squeeze in some lemon juice and lay the lemon slices along the flesh.
3. Fold the fish back over, sprinkle a small pinch of tarragon onto the skin and drizzle over a small amount of oil and the juice from two quarter lemons. Place the used lemon quarters around the fish and cover with tin foil.
4. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the flesh becomes pink and opaque.
5. With a fork, peel back the skin and carefully remove the meat ensuring that all pin bones are removed.
Find more recipes HERE