Grouse shooting: the facts
The value of grouse shooting and the benefit it brings to the economy and environment.
* Heather moorland is rarer than rainforest and 75% of it is found in Britain because of grouse moor management.
* Grouse shooting in England, Wales and Scotland supports conservation work and is worth an estimated 100 million a year.
* It also supports the equivalent of more than 2,500 full-time jobs.
* At least 40,000 people take part in grouse shooting annually.
* Conservation for grouse shooting is landscape-scale management.
* 79% of upland EU Special Protection Areas are managed as grouse moors.
* Up to five times more threatened wading birds are supported on moors managed by gamekeepers.
* Managing heather helps preserve and protect peat, the UK's biggest carbon store.