How to make Bramble Whisky
50cl blended Scotch whisky
500g wild brambles (blackberries)
450g sugar (granulated or caster)
1. Wash the berries with cold water.
2. Add the berries, the sugar and the whisky into a large sterile and sealable jar. Split the ingredients equally into several if you only have small jars/bottles.
3. Seal the jars and shake well every day for 2–4 weeks or until all the sugar has dissolved into the mix.
4. Leave the mixture to macerate for the desired length of time – some people prefer to leave their bramble whisky just a few weeks, whilst others won't touch theirs until it's at least a year old.
5. Strain the mixture through coffee filter paper or muslin cloth, then bottle, seal and serve when needed.
This recipe is only a guideline, and many people have different preferences. Why not add a few other spices to mix things up, or different types and amounts of sugars? Separate the contents into smaller jars and note what the ingredients are. If you find a favourite you can copy it the following year.
Taste a couple of the brambles before mixing and adjust your sugar measurements accordingly – some years the fruit will be noticeably sweeter than in others.
If the neat mix is too strong for your liking, fresh apple juice can be added as a perfect mixer.
Don't throw away the alcohol-infused fruit! It can be used in jams, chutneys, cakes, crumbles, cocktails and other infusions.
From the sponsor...
The Traqueur rubber boot is the latest addition to Le Chameau’s shooting range, introducing new innovations, a contemporary look and technical attributes for beaters, pickers up and active shooters who require extra protection. As with all Le Chameau rubber boots, each pair of Traqueur is handcrafted by a single maître bottier, Master Bootmaker.
With double Kevlar® reinforcements to the front and sides, the boot provides 360ᵒ protection against abrasion and improved stability to your foot and ankle. It features a waterproof Riri Aquazip to the rear and a shock-absorbing, insulating, all-terrain Grip sole with reinforced shank for improved arch support and comfort when you are on your feet all day.
Another great feature of this boot is the technical, perforated 100% microfibre OnSteam® lining, which provides all-day comfort due to its thermo-regulating and anti-allergenic properties, as well as its ability to easily absorb and dissipate humidity. The lining is quick-drying, therefore preventing the development of bacteria which cause odour. OnSteam® performance is similar to our leather lining and it is therefore perfect as an all-year round boot and for temperatures to -5ᵒC.
Traqueur is available in classic Vert Chameau green, a stylish Marron Foncé brown and also in Realtree® Max-4 camo pattern.