Partridge in a Pear Tree Puffs
This partridge canapé recipe, shared by Fieldsports Magazine's regular food contributor Sarah Monier-Williams, is perfect to serve in the autumn/winter months at drink parties or shoot day elevenses.
6 thin slices of pancetta, finely diced
2 partridge breasts, diced into 1cm cubes
1 pear, peeled, cored and finely diced
1 stick of celery, finely diced
320g ready-made all butter puff pastry
80g sultanas, chopped
80g pistachio nuts, chopped
Slug of sweet chilli sauce
Splash of soy sauce
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp chopped thyme
Pinch of salt
Good grind of black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2. Grease each hole in the mini muffin tray.
3. Remove puff pastry from fridge. Don’t let it get too warm or you’ll end up working with a sticky mess!
4. Fry the partridge, pears, pancetta and celery in sunflower oil for about 3–4 minutes only as the meat will cook super quickly and you don’t want to dry it out. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan and bind together. Remove from heat.
5. Unroll the pastry, keeping the parchment sheet in place.
6. Use the top of a wine glass or cup to cut circles in the puff pastry about 2cm wider than the diameter of the hole so when the circles are pressed down with the pastry tamper the pastry reaches the edge. There will be enough pastry to cut about 22 perfect circles. The remaining two you’ll have to make from off-cuts! Place each circle on top of the hole and ‘tamp down’ in the centre.
7. Spoon the partridge mixture into the pastry cases and bake for 10 minutes at 200˚C, reducing the temperature to 180˚C for a further 5 minutes.
8. If you’re serving immediately, cook for a further 3–4 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
9. To save them for another day, remove from the oven and let them cool down before freezing. To reheat from frozen, place onto a pre-heated baking tray and cook at 180˚C for 8–10 minutes.
From the sponsor...
The Traqueur rubber boot is the latest addition to Le Chameau’s shooting range, introducing new innovations, a contemporary look and technical attributes for beaters, pickers up and active shooters who require extra protection. As with all Le Chameau rubber boots, each pair of Traqueur is handcrafted by a single maître bottier, Master Bootmaker.
With double Kevlar® reinforcements to the front and sides, the boot provides 360ᵒ protection against abrasion and improved stability to your foot and ankle. It features a waterproof Riri Aquazip to the rear and a shock-absorbing, insulating, all-terrain Grip sole with reinforced shank for improved arch support and comfort when you are on your feet all day.
Another great feature of this boot is the technical, perforated 100% microfibre OnSteam® lining, which provides all-day comfort due to its thermo-regulating and anti-allergenic properties, as well as its ability to easily absorb and dissipate humidity. The lining is quick-drying, therefore preventing the development of bacteria which cause odour. OnSteam® performance is similar to our leather lining and it is therefore perfect as an all-year round boot and for temperatures to -5ᵒC.
Traqueur is available in classic Vert Chameau green, a stylish Marron Foncé brown and also in Realtree® Max-4 camo pattern.